So you’ve completed your tutorial of the game and ready to start fighting real humans as opponents. Then you get completely crushed. Maimed. Destroyed. Although Clash Royale may seem deceptively simple at first glance, there are many complex dynamics at work. Few key concepts must be understood to start climbing up the arena levels and start winning your battles at a high clip. Our beginner’s guide is designed to help you get an understanding of how the game works including: cards, decks, attacking, defending, and more.
Introduction to Cards
In total there are 48 cards in the game, organized into three different categories: Troops, Spells and Buildings. the card in your deck requires elixir and this is a key concept that is vital to success in the game, which is discussed in [link to elixir guide].
Each card has different levels that can be obtained to increase its health and power (10% per level). There are 4 classifications to the cards based on their rarity: Common (gray or blue), Rare (orange), Epic (purple) and Legendary (rainbow).
You can obtain the cards in two ways:
- Purchase with gold – or use the Clash Royale hack for gems – which can be gotten by opening chests, donating cards and converting them from gems.
- Opening various types (giant, magical and super) of chests
Let’s go over the three different types of cards that can be used to make your deck.
Troop cards are the units that make up your army. Choosing the correct troops in the right situation, whether attacking or defending, is important to winning the battle. Currently there are 28 troop cards in the game and each unit serve a different purpose.
Princess: Legendary card, Costs 3 elixirs, Royale Arena Arena 7
Ice Wizard: Legendary card, costs 3 elixirs, Spell Valley Arena 5
Royale Giant: Common card, costs 6 elixirs, Royale Arena Arena 7
P.E.K.K.A.: Epic card, costs 7 elixirs, P.E.K.K.A Playhouse Arena 4
Dark Prince: Epic, 4 elixirs, Royale Arena Arena 7
Prince: Epic, 5, Training Camp (Tutorial)
Three Musketeers: 10 elixirs, rare, Arena 7 Royale Arena
Golem: Epic, 8, builder’s workshop, arena 6
Baby Dragon: 4, training camp, Epic
Wizard: 5, arena 5, rare
Mini P.E.K.K.A.: 4, Training Camp, rare
Witch, 5, Training camp, Epic
Hog Rider: 4, Arena 4, rare
Giant Skeleton: 6, Arena 2 bone pit, Epic
Skeleton army: 4, training camp, Epic
Minion Horde: 5, Arena 4 P.E.K.K.A. Playhouse, common
Barbarians: 5, barbarian bowl arena 3, common
Balloon: 5, bone pit arena 2, epic
Giant: 5, training camp, rare
Knight: 3, training camp, common
Musketeer: 4, training camp, rare
Spear goblins: 2, goblin stadium arena 1, common
Minions: 3, bone pit arena 2, common
Skeleton: 2, bone pit arena 2, common
Goblins: 2, goblin stadium arena 1, common
Valkyrie: 4, goblin stadium arena 1, rare
Archers: 3, training camp, common
Bomber: 3, training camp, common
Special magical attacks that can turn the tide of a battle when used correctly at the right time. Unlike Troop and Building cards, spells when used right can generate tons of Elixirs, which when managed right is paramount to winning.
Mirror: elixir cost (last card played +1), arena 5, epic
Zap: 2 elixir, arena 5, common
Goblin barrel: 4 elixir, arena 1, epic
Freeze: 4 elixir, arena 4, epic
Rare: 3 elixir, arena 3, epic
Rocket: 6 elixir, arena 3, rare
Poison: 4 elixir, arena 5, Epic
Lightning: 6 elixir, arena 1, epic
Arrows: 3 elixir, training camp, common
Fireball: 4 elixir, training camp, rare
Structures that can be used both for attacking and defending. Unlike troops, buildings are stationary objects that can be powerful with the right placement.
X-Bow: 6 elixir, barbarian bowl (arena 3), epic
Elixir Collector: 5 elixir, builder’s workshop (arena 6), rare
Mortar: 4 elixir, builder’s workshop (arena 6), common
Tesla: 4 elixir, p.e.k.k.a.’s playhouse (arena 4), common
Inferno Tower: 5 elixir, pekka’s playhouse (arena 4), rare
Goblin Hut: 5 elixir, goblin stadium (arena 1), rare
Tombstone: 3 elixir, bone pit (arena 2), rare
Barbarian Hut: 7 elixir, barbarian bowl (arena 3), rare
Bomb Tower: 5 elixir, bone pit (arena 2), rare
Cannon: 3 elixir, barbarian bowl (arena 3), common
Clash Royale Deck Guide for Beginners
Having the right deck is key to winning any arena battle. By having the right combinations of cards to build decks, you can either win triumphantly or lose pathetically. The key to building the right deck involves the arena you are competing in. The deck combination that worked well in Arena 2 or 3 will not be as effective in Arena 4 or 5.
[link to best decks guide]
It’s good to have at least 2 or 3 cards that forms as the foundation of your decks that are well balanced and compliments each other. When selecting the cards for your deck, it’s important to understand the balance of elixir costs. Cards that cost a lot of elixirs may be tempting because they tend to be of high powered nature, but you will be sacrificing longer wait times to use other cards. Try to aim for cards that cost between 2 – 5, ideally right around the average of 4 elixir costs is a sound threshold.
Here is composition of a balanced deck that can counter most opponents you will face in the lower arenas:
- Troops cards that act as a tank, soaking up damage in the frontline of the battle
- Attack-centric cards like archers, spear goblins, prince, barbarians, canons, etc.
- Cards with splash damage ability such as Fireball, witch, baby dragon, arrows, lightning, Wizard, etc.
- Cards with aerial attack abilities like archers, musketeers, spear goblins, baby dragon, Tesla, etc.
- One defensive structure
Example of a Well-Balanced Deck for Arena 2
By using the concept of balanced cards, you can easily dominate opponents who doesn’t have the optimal combinations of cards as their decks.
Here is an example deck that excels in Arena 2:
- Archers: For range damage and to counter high HP cards
- Fireball: Splash damage
- Barbarian: High HP Tank with melee damage
- Wizard: Anti-Air and ranged damgae
- Bomber: Splash damage and range
- Minions: Can attack ground and air units. Great offensive unit.
- Arrows: Excellent when used as defense.
- Bomb Tower: Defensive building
Basic Gameplay Tips & Tricks
By now, you have a fairly good understanding of the building blocks of Clash Royale, cards and forming a balanced deck. To complement that, here are some tips and tricks that will get you up to speed and start winning some battles right away.
- The key to winning any battles in the game is by observing the moves your opponent make and reacting correspondingly. Don’t just start throwing cards out with no planning or thoughts. If your foe drops a Giant, then counter with Minion Hordes or Cannon. Witch was just deployed? Use lightning or Fireball to weaken her before pounding her with a Knight.
- Make decisions wisely on what cards to upgrade with gold. In fact, if you have cards you do not use, it’s wise to donate the cards to gain gold and experience.
- At the start of the game use low cost cards that gives you an elixir advantages like Spear Goblins and Tombstones.
- Wait until you have built up more elixir than your opponent before mounting an attack. Stack a well-balanced cards that include a tank, high damage units and splash damage units to combat a group of defending units and buildings. When attacking, make sure to group them up and send them all in together. Marching into your enemy’s field one by one, in a line is same as sending them through the slaughterhouse one by one.
- Understand the key concept of countering the attacks. Certain cards are created to counter specific cards and knowing this combination is often key to turning the tide of the battle. For example, if your opponent is rushing you with Barbarian that has high HP, whittle down its health points with a Fireball.